If we have to choose a city that has defined the past, the present and the future of Flanders, that is Ghent for sure.
Cradle of emperors and great clothing craftsmen, a refuge of rebels and inspiration of art masterpieces. Wandering through its narrow streets and enjoying its imposing castle is to discover the best secret kept in Europe with our Ghent private tour.
With more than 70.000 students, Ghent has the largest student population in Belgium, which refers to urban life mixed with the charm of medieval architecture. Nowhere else in the world you can jump from the 14th to the 21st century as quickly as here (and vice-versa) and feel like everything fits in a natural way. When someone walks through the historical city center, that person realizes why Ghent has so many tourist prizes and international compliments at every moment. Its infrastructures and heritage include (but not only) churches, one castle, public stages, cultural routes, pubs, cafés and concert halls with centuries of history.
During the walk, the inhabitants of Ghent will have an essential role that will awake our curiosity. Between the waters of the Leie and the Scheldt and the port in medieval times where the riverboats were loaded and unloaded, a history of relations between the merchants, the craftsmen, the nobles and the common people took shape, and their indelible mark is still undeniable in the current prosperity of the city. The Friday Market will welcome us with one of the local heroes, Jacob van Artevelde, as we walk towards the Patershol neighborhood and the Castle of the Counts of Flanders. The river Leie will guide our way to one of the most stolen art masterpieces in history, one painting dating from 1432 and belonging to the so-called Flemish Art, “The Mystic Lamb”. And if any person is more inclined towards gastronomy and typical products should know that cuberdons or “Ghent noses”, mustard and Ganda ham are faithful ambassadors of local delicatessen.
Itinerary of the visit:
- Friday Market (Vrijdagmarkt).
- Patershol neighborhood.
- Castle of the Counts of Flanders.
- Fish Market (Vismarkt).
- Old docks of Graslei and Korenlei.
- Church of Saint Michael.
- Grain market (Korenmarkt).
- Belfort Tower.
- Saint Bavo Square.
- Cathedral of Saint Bavo (inside, except on Sundays from 10.00 to 13.00 due to the catholic mass).
Ghent private tour pick up point
- We will pick you up at your hotel or any other desired location in the city center
- Departure point recommended for organized groups coming by bus: Church of Saint Jacobs.
At the desired time
- Guided tour with English speaking guide.
Duration: +/-2,5 hours
Special prices per group up to 30 people ask us by email.
Languages: Spanish or English.
Please note: The tour involves some walking
Booking 24h in advance is necessary.
Please for special requests send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or click here
(Optional) Visit the chapel of “The Mystic Lamb”. To consider:
- Summer season (01/04 – 31/10): 9.30 – 17.00
- Winter season (01/11 – 31/03): 10.30 – 16.00
- On Sundays, access is only allowed after 13.00 due to the catholic mass.
- Price: groups of more than 15 people (3€), groups of less than 14 people (4€), school and high school students (1.5€).
- The guides are NOT allowed to speak inside the chapel, so people will be provided an audioguide if desired (included in the 4€ fee, for any other reduced fee it costs 1€).